The importance of food service in the scheme of school business management would seem rather obvious but somehow gets lost in the school district’s educational efforts to educate all students well. However, a quality food service program is critical if students are to excel in all that they do while in school – hungry children make extremely poor learners. School districts offer hot lunch and breakfast programs, free and reduced meals, state and federal
lunch price supports, and other health and nutrition incentives.
Today, school food service programs command enormous budgets and human resources while having to comply with strictly monitored state and federal food service rules, regulations, and statutes – not to mention a heavy reliance on document completion and reporting compliance.
AKEBS provides the following school district food service and related business services:
- Assisting in the preparation of food service policies and procedures to comply with local, state, and federal rules, regulations, and statutes
- Coordinating food services with educational program and activity needs
- Assisting in the staffing and supervision of food service program
- Assisting in the preparation of menus, prices, and food portion controls
- Purchasing, storing, and distribution of food service products, supplies, and equipment
- Providing accounting, reporting, and cost analysis management
- Providing required and requested professional development
- Training of school district business officials
“We’d never concerned ourselves with our food services’ operation – until our students boycotted the lunchroom.”
California School Board Member